According to the American Burn Association, there are about 500,000 burn injuries serious enough to require medical attention per year, and about 4,000 deaths from burns. These include flame burns, scalding liquids, chemical, electrical and other types of burns. Below are some questions frequently asked of our Maryland lawyers:

Q. How are the burn injury degrees classified
A. First degree burns are to those that are limited to the outer layers of skin, which may be red, charred, and swollen. Second degree burns show the same symptoms but affect not only the outer layer (epidermis) but the dermis, or under lying skin. Third degree burns are those beyond the dermis layer, affecting underlying tissues and blood vessels.

Q. What types of medications are used to treat a burn victim?
A. Most thermal burns (fire or scald burns are treated with pain killers (analgesics) and topical antibiotics, such as Silvadene.

Q. If I am burned at work, can I sue my employer?
A. Generally, work related burn injuries do not result in lawsuit for injuries, but you can pursue Worker’s Compensation through a lawsuit if your employer does not offer it. If you are a Maryland resident or work in Maryland, you should seek specific answers from a Maryland lawyer specializing in accidents.

Q. What if my work related burn was specifically caused by another employee?
A. In Maryland, the actions of the other employee may be considered grounds for a lawsuit. Your lawyer will need to conduct a through investigation of how the incident occurred, as well as background circumstances. Such circumstances could include any grudges between employees that may be cause for a purpose-driven burn injury. Perhaps the other employee was simply reckless in the performance of the job, and it could be to the extent that personal liability could be established. Your Maryland lawyer will need all the facts that could impact the case to determine whether a personal injury suit is viable.

Q. What types of compensation could be available for burn victims if the injury is caused by someone else?
A. In Maryland, there are several types of compensatory damages your lawyer could pursue. First and foremost is of course, medical bills and any rehabiltiation treatments. In severe burn cases, these bills can run very high for emergency and follow-on treatment, including skin grafting etc. Work time missed should be compensated if another’s fault can be established. Also, pain and permanent damages should be compensated. Severe burns usually leave permanent scars, which in most cases are considered a disfigurement.