Many people wonder what kind of medical treatment they need after an automobile collision.  The question arises, I think, because people understand that there is an interplay between an insurance claim (or an auto accident lawsuit) and medical care.

The most important thing after an automobile accident is for the victim to get better.  Some of our clients want recommendations on where to go, particularly because they are concerned that some doctors will refuse to treat them after an automobile accident.  Others may need recommendations because they do not have a primary care provider, or because they don’t have health insurance and cannot afford medical treatment.  This is what we tell them.

After any emergency room treatment, the best thing is for our clients to see their primary care physician, if they have one.  That PCP will usually refer the client to a specialist if the injury is not expected to resolve on its own—perhaps an orthopedist (bone and muscle doctor), or maybe a chiropractor or physical therapist.  Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance, if the victim has it, might pay between $2,500 and $10,000 worth of medical expenses (this is used up fast if there is a need for surgery or MRIs).

Clients in the following scenarios often need more help:

Our office works with several doctors who will provide medical treatment and will agree to hold off on collecting payment.  They provide medical care, and our clients then agree that we will pay their doctors out of any eventual settlement or verdict.

This can help some people who don’t have other methods of medical care.  An automobile injury claim usually takes at least three months to resolve after all medical care is done.  Particularly if a lawsuit is necessary, it can take one or two years.  That’s a long time to have outstanding medical expenses.

Again, the most important thing is that our clients get better.  We want them to receive the best medical care that they can, and we help to navigate the ins-and-outs of PIP, health insurance, and post-accident medical treatment.

Contact Us

If you have questions about your medical care or expenses after an automobile accident in Maryland or West Virginia, contact our personal injury lawyers at 1-800-776-4529, or send us some brief information about your automobile accident through our online portal.  We’ll put our expertise to work for you right away.

More Maryland Automobile Accident Information

Click below for information on: