People who have to use Maryland’s workers’ compensation system always have questions and don’t always get satisfactory answers. We have our own workers’ compensation FAQ on the site which goes into detail about what to do if your claim is denied or terminated, but this blog post will also describe what to expect from the Maryland workers’ comp system when you get started.

Workers’ Compensation FAQ

If you have been injured at work, you most likely have the right to file a claim for workers’ compensation.   If you feel you need assistance in filing a claim, please contact us at (410) 539-1200 so we can evaluate your case.

How long will it take for my claim to processed?

It takes 2 to 3 business days from the date the Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission (MWCC) receives your fully completed application to process the claim. The MWCC may return the form if it is missing key information such as claimant signatures, employer information and or other required information. Please note that if the form is returned, you cannot verbally provide the missing information. You must resubmit the form.

What is the status of my claim?

You can check the status of your claim online at

Or by phone at 410-864-5100.

Or by email at

When will I receive my check?

Once a Commissioner reviews your claim, he or she will issue an order that is sent to your employer and the insurer.  If wage replacement or other benefits are to be paid, your employer or the insurance company will pay you within 15 days of the order.  The benefit checks are not issued by the MWCC.

What is a Hearing Notice?

A hearing notice informs you of the date, time and place that a hearing will be held on your claim. When a case is set on a special issue, such as a rehearing or lump sum settlement, it will be noted above the hearing date on the left side of the hearing notice. The names and roles of all the interested parties will be listed on the hearing notice.

It is important that you review it carefully to ensure the information is correct. If you need to correct information, you can contact the Hearing Division at 410-864-5306 or by email at  You can also contact the Hearing Division if you have any questions about your hearing notice.

How do I change my contact information?

You will need to complete at Claimant’s Request for Change of Address form H-31R.

How do I obtain a copy of my transcript from my workers’ compensation hearing?

You need to fill out a Request for Transcript form WCC H-50 available here which may be faxed to 410-864-5181 or emailed to  Transcripts are usually sent within 60 days of request.  Transcripts are available for 15 years after the date of the hearing.

How do I appeal my hearing?

You have 30 days from the date of the order to file an appeal in the appropriate Circuit Court.  Please contact us at (410) 539-1200 if you have been denied or need assistance with an appeal.

What is vocational rehabilitation?

If your injury is severe enough to prevent you from returning to work, you may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation.  A specialist in vocational rehabilitation provides services that may include testing, job placement, vocational counseling, on the job training and retraining.  worker to enable them to return to work. You can find out more about vocational rehabilitation here.

Generally, the employer/insurance company choses your vocational rehabilitation provider. However, if you disagree with your choice of provider, you can contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Division at 410-864-5320 or by email at

What if I cannot find a medical provider in my area to provide treatment?

You can choose your medical provider, however, some providers will not provide workers compensation services because the fees are often lower than what they usually charge. If you cannot find a provider, you should contact your employer or the insurance provider who will likely know of an approved provider in your area.

You can also contact the Medical Division of the MWCC at 410-864-5320 or by email at

What else do I need to know?

You need to know that the workers’ compensation attorneys at Ingerman & Horwitz are on your side. We know all the ins and outs of the law and are ready to help you.