Second degree burns are very serious. Many people develop second degree burns from an accident such as scalding, contact with open flames, and contact with hot objects such as pots and pans. Burn injuries can be difficult to live with if the burn area is in a sensitive area such as on a hand, arm, or foot.


A typical second degree burn is more serious than a first degree burn and produces dark red skin that is swollen and sometimes blistered. The burn area will feel warm to the touch and will cause pain typically without even touching the burn. The skin is incredibly sensitive and may cause scarring.


They typical treatment time for a second degree burn takes three to five weeks. Here is some information about a few types of treatments for second degree burns.


  • Second degree burns can be treated with antibiotic ointment on the affected area. Ointments help to soothe the burns and work to reduce swelling.
  • Wrapping the affected area and applying salve to the second degree burns a few times per day can also help the injured victim.
  • If a second degree burn is very serious then it might require that the patient takes oral antibiotics and painkillers to help dull the pain. Surgery may also be used to clean the wound and to help remove dead skin cells.

Second degree burns need to be sterilized at least three times a day to prevent an infection from occurring.


It is important to be careful when around any hot pans or fires. It is a good idea to wear long sleeves if cooking with hot oil. Oil is known to cause serious burns if it comes in contact with skin. When moving any large pots or pans off the stove you should be very careful. Wear shoes when cooking in the kitchen because hot pans can be dropped or splash and the hot water can scald the skin.


If you have received a second degree burn on the workplace or from someone else’s negligence you should consult an attorney. You may be eligible to receive financial compensation for your medical expenses and any lost wages incurred. Contact our firm today for a free case evaluation.